How Permanent Makeup Can Have A Positive Impact On Your Life
If You Suffer From Trichotillomania …
What is Trichotillomania?
Trichotillomania (or Trich) is the condition where a person feels the urge to pull out hair from various parts of the body. The person suffering from Trich may pull out the hair on their heads, or in other places such as eyebrow hair and eyelashes. Pulling out the hair leaves the person with bald patches in this area resulting in feelings of despair, negativity, guilt, shame, embarrassment, and depression.
Trichotillomania is a psychological condition and is seen as an impulse-control disorder falling into the same category of Body Focused Repetitive Behaviours (BFRBs) such as cheek chewing, skin picking, nail biting.
What Triggers Trichotillomania
While there are many advocates for helping the sufferer to alleviate this problem, few of them have had sustained, wide-reaching effects and tend to be localised and temporary. It is also uncertain what the main triggers are for a person becoming a Trich sufferer, but this is a condition that seems to favour female sufferers over male sufferers.
What are the Psychological Effects for Trichotillomania Sufferers
However, the Trich sufferer will often mention that their condition has a negative impact on their relationships, prevents them from doing things like having a social life, integrating into work life, and enjoying active pursuits like swimming and exercising for fear of the disorder being uncovered. For some Trich sufferers, there is noticeable physical damage to the skin where there are bald spots or scars from skin picking.
How Permanent Makeup Can Help A Person Who Suffers from Trichotillomania
Permanent makeup application to the bald areas of the face, where eyebrows or eyelashes have been pulled out and now stubbornly refuse to grow back can make a remarkable difference for the Trich sufferer. I’m willing to bet that the Trich sufferer is quite adept at hiding this condition with clever makeup tricks, false eyelashes, and long fringes. But there comes a point at the end of the evening when the makeup remover cap is screwed back on, and the cotton pads in the bin reflect the amount of work that has gone into disguising this condition. The Trich sufferer is left to look at the damage that is reflected back to them from the mirror.
The anxiety that accompanies this plaguing condition can be mitigated with Permanent Makeup. Permanent Makeup certainly cannot solve this problem by any means. It will not remove the urge to pull out hair. But it will go some way to help the anxious sufferer bear the consequences of the condition a little less severely. It helps to know that your eyebrows will always be there even if you’ve had a marathon pulling session. Your permanent makeup eyeliner will also be intact and it will make the bald eyelid a little less noticeable.
What A Trichotillomania Sufferer Needs To Know About Permanent Makeup
What you should know if you are a Trich sufferer wanting to explore permanent makeup:
– Permanent makeup will not provide the magic formula that stops you pulling out your eyebrows and eyelashes
– Permanent Makeup will give you the “appearance” of eyebrows and eyelashes with the application of pigment into the skin, very much like applying an eyeliner/eyebrow pencil to these areas.
– You will need to touch up your permanent makeup regularly. This is a normal process for everyone embarking on permanent makeup application. Having a colour boost to your existing permanent makeup usually takes place between 9-24months. The length of time that your permanent makeup lasts from one colour boost to another depends on many factors. One factor that will influence the Trich sufferer more than any other permanent makeup client is the fact that the skin in these areas takes on a different texture and this has consequences for the application of pigment to these areas.
– It is not unusual for the Trich sufferer to have to undergo a few more sessions in each of the targeted areas than normal. Two sessions is normally enough for most clients wanting permanent makeup, but the Trich sufferer might have to undergo more than this for the pigment to hold in the skin.
– After any permanent makeup application it is natural for the skin to process the pigment, to scab and to heal. This normally happens anywhere in the first week after the application. It is imperative that if the Trich sufferer also is compelled to pick the skin that the small scabs that form in this time are left to heal naturally and fall off naturally without being pulled or picked off. Picking these small scabs will have consequences for pigment retention in the skin in these areas.
How I Can Help You …
If you are a Trich sufferer and are wanting to explore permanent makeup as an option for having natural looking eyebrows or eyeliner to cover your balding areas, get in touch and I can help select the correct procedure for you.